Table of Contents:
- How does the Spanish Healthcare System Work?
- Can UK Pensioners Have Access to the Spanish Healthcare System?
- How to Apply for Spanish Health Insurance?
- How Can Cloverhut Help You Find Your New Residence in Spain?
How does the Spanish Healthcare System Work?
We could name you a million reasons why Spain is a great country to live in. However, we are going to focus on one of the best ones which is the Spanish Healthcare System. That is right, this article is not about the sun or Spanish food but about health insurance and the Spanish Healthcare system. The country has an extensive network of hospitals and pharmacies that help Spaniards cope with unexpected events.
The great thing about it is that if you pay social security in Spain, you can receive medical treatment for free or, in some cases for a few bucks.
The quality of life in Spain is one of the greatest. Spanish nationals usually live up to 82.5 years old and Spain is ranked fifth country in the world in regard to life expectancy. This can be explained by the fact that 99.7% of Spaniards are covered by the Spanish Healthcare System while the remaining 0.3% of the population have private Medicare.
There are different types of hospitals in Spain. There are private hospitals and public for-profit and non-profit hospitals. Public hospitals in Spain are usually funded by the respective autonomous community in which they reside. It is usually similar for private hospitals in Spain, but autonomous communities can decide whether to fully fund them, partially or not at all.
Can UK Pensioners Have Access to the Spanish Healthcare System?
Yes, indeed. Healthcare in Spain is free for anyone that contributes to social security and any state pensioner that is 65 years old and above. For expats, the Spanish healthcare system is also free if they work in Spain and contribute to social security. According to Expactica, the Spanish healthcare system is free for anyone who is:
- A Spanish resident working in Spain and contributing to social security.
- Living in Spain and receiving certain state benefits.
- A resident in Spain and recently divorced or separated from a partner registered with social security.
- A child resident in Spain.
- Studying in Spain and under 26 years old.
- State pensioner.
- Staying temporarily in Spain and have an EHIC card.
How to Apply for Spanish Health Insurance?
In order to get Spanish health insurance, UK nationals that fit all the above-mentioned criteria have to register for a health card at their Spanish local medical centre. Office clerks will ask that you prepare your social security number. You can also opt for private insurance. There are a lot of companies in Spain that are specialised in private medical insurance. For example:
- DKV Health Insurance
- Cigna Private Health Insurance
- Sanitas Health Insurance and many more.
For state pensioners, it is a bit different as you must apply for an S1 form from the International Pension Centre before leaving your home country. As soon as you arrive in Spain, you must apply for an accreditation letter at your local National Institute of Social Security. Offices in Spain will always ask for a passport, NIE and certificate of residency when you apply for formal documents.
Generally, private insurers have a pre-set list of hospitals in Spain that you can receive treatment from. They are usually located in expat areas such as Marbella to make sure that patients are welcomed by English-speaking doctors and nurses. Some insurers even offer the possibility to cover your healthcare fees in several countries at the same time. This is meant for people who work in one country and live in another.
Keep in mind that, as a resident of the EU, you may be entitled to state-provided healthcare during a minimal stay in Spain given that you have the European Health Insurance Card.
How Can Cloverhut Help You Find Your New Residence in Spain?
Cloverhut is a start-up that aims to make people access the property ladder by organizing house raffles. Participants are free to enter from anywhere in the world to get a chance at winning a Spanish house situated a couple of minutes away from the beach. The goal is to revolutionise the Spanish real estate market by providing a new alternative to buy quality housing with tickets at a price of 2€. Our company also enables everyone to join our CloverClub which offers its members a lot of perks such as additional cash prize raffles, trips to Spain, discounts, etc. For regular entries, we have limited the emission of tickets to 5000 per person so as to maximise all participants’ winning chances. That being said, join our next house raffle to be able to retire in Spain where all your medical related costs will be covered by the State.
Would you like to know when the next raffle starts? SIGN UP NOW!